Saturday, February 03, 2007

missing these dynamic voices....

I got word today that a leader of abahlali base mjondolo has passed on. Cosmos was a vibrant, passionate and loud voice for change, as well as a sound thinker in terms of strategy and how to build the movement. I only knew him briefly, but I'm sad to hear of abahlali's loss. Footage from his memorial service here

Among others I'm sure I am missing, the past week has also seen the passing of 3 more incredible souls who were able to combine their passions and gifts into lifelong commitment to the struggle for justice...

Adelaide Thambo, a lifelong ANC activist, escaped with husband Oliver from South Africa while the ANC was outlawed, to continue building the struggle from the outside.

see the South Africa History Archives for more about her life.






Father Robert Drinan, a Catholic priest who chose to run for Congress during the Vietnam war. He served for 10 years as congressman with a vocal anti-war message. I heard an old interview of his on the radio recently-- Drinan was asked if he regretted his decision to leave the House of Representatives when the pope said he had to choose between being a priest and being a congressman. Drinan said no. We make decisions, he said, and have to live with the choices we make, and make the best of it. Some great advice for a young and wandering activist, trying to decide what struggle is most connected to my passions, and in most need of my energies.



Molly Ivins--
(from Paul Krugman):

July 14, 2003: "I opposed the war in Iraq because I thought it would lead to the peace from hell, but I'd rather not see my prediction come true and I don't think we have much time left to avert it. That the occupation is not going well is apparent to everyone but Donald Rumsfeld. ... We don't need people with credentials as right-wing ideologues and corporate privatizers -- we need people who know how to fix water and power plants."

Oct. 7, 2003: "Good thing we won the war, because the peace sure looks like a quagmire... I've got an even-money bet out that says more Americans will be killed in the peace than in the war, and more Iraqis will be killed by Americans in the peace than in the war. Not the first time I've had a bet out that I hoped I'd lose."

Hoping to find a collection of her radio interviews... her Texan drawl ladened with a sarcastic wit that will be hard to best... see her recently replayed interview with Fresh Air's Terri Gross about "gang-plucking" and censorship

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

6:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home